Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Meet 2018 Famous Former Honoree Charity Volman


With a thirst for success and a competitive spirit, Charity Volman, SunTrust Bank Hampton Roads Market President and Commercial Team Leader, is a G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ champion through and through. She credits her outstanding qualities to having been a Girl Scout for five years.

“I believe I am the person I am today because of the traits I learned as a Girl Scout,” she said.

Volman valued her time as a Girl Scout and really saw the importance of it when her nieces joined the girl-led organization. She recalled the strong friendships that they made as well as the confidence they had gained from being Girl Scouts. As a businesswoman, Volman appreciates the life and leadership skills that the Girl Scouts has to offer through activities like the Girl Scout Cookie Program.

“My nieces call me each year for my annual cookie purchase. They recite the flavor descriptions and once I place my order, they do the math to tell me what I owe. I love the business aspect of this,” she explained.

During her career, Volman has taken what her former troop leaders and other female mentors taught her and used those skills to create an inclusive, welcoming environment for her employees.

“My most meaningful achievement has been my ability to guide and help others. My position at SunTrust has afforded me the opportunity to help clients, coach teammates, and the ability to guide and assist nonprofits I work with,” she said.

Because of Girl Scouts, Volman continues to impact those around her through her community service and support of other Girl Scout events like the previous Famous Formers luncheons.

Help us celebrate Charity Volman along with our other honorees at this year’s Famous Formers luncheon on November 29 at 11:30 a.m. Tickets are on sale now and you can save on this event when you purchase your ticket by October 21.