Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Gold Award Spotlight: Northwest River Park Beautification and Advocacy Plan


Girl Scout Ambassador Claire has earned her Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest honor and achievement a girl can earn in Girl Scouts.


“A diamond in the rough” is how Claire described Northwest River Park before she was able to assist in improving the park’s aesthetics and safety.

Claire knew she could leave a lasting impact on her community by improving the look of Northwest River Park so she took action! She enlisted the help of her family, troop and park rangers to assist her during her project, “Northwest River Park Beautification and Advocacy Plan.” By replacing the landscape around the boathouses, spreading new gravel on the path to the ranger meeting building and building a path from the boathouse to the playground, Claire was able to reach her goals for the project.

“The issue my project addressed was the need for improvements to the park’s camping area. My project not only addressed that need, but I was also able to advocate for the park by writing an article about my project,” she said.

To draw attention to the park, Claire wrote an article for the Tidbits of Chesapeake.

“Each phase of my project was important, but I am convinced that the most successful aspect of my project is sharing it with the community in an article I wrote for the local media. Writing, editing and working with the representative from The Virginian-Pilot was very rewarding. I was able to advocate for the Northwest River Park and encourage others to follow my lead and work to preserve and enhance community parks,” she recalled.