Thursday, December 21, 2017

Girl Scout Julissa practiced her Media Girl skills at this year's Cookie Kickoff

At this year's Cookie Kickoff, one of our very own Media Girls got to try her hand at interviewing others at the event!

How did it go? Girl Scout Junior Julissa from Troop 828 in Virginia Beach told us all about her official Media Girl duties.

Julissa was responsible for interviewing Girl Scouts and Troop Leaders about their cookie goals for the upcoming year.

"I got to interview Daisies, Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes and Seniors," Julissa said. "The girls were asked what their names were, what troop they were from and what their cookie goal was for the year. The highest goal was to sell 2,000 boxes of cookies."

Julissa admitted that since it was her first big Media Girl task, she was a little nervous. But she was able to harness that energy and use it to get to know all about what goals Girl Scouts are setting this cookie season.
Girl Scout Julissa, left, interviewing Girl Scout Kaitlyn from Troop 1346
at this year's Cookie Kickoff.

"I did my best to not show [my nervousness] by smiling," Julissa said. "I know that a smile is contagious and it can change somebody's day. I hope to learn as much as I can so that in the future I can help other girls who would like to be part of Media Girls team."

Because she was tasked with interviewing so many girls, Julissa said her favorite part of Cookie Kickoff was getting to meet so many new friends—even if it was a little loud at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center.

"My favorite part was meeting many other Girl Scouts just like me," Julissa said. "I especially remember meeting a group of Daisies. They all came up to me, hugged me and told me I was their new BFF! They put a big smile on my face."

After fulfilling her Media Girl duties, Julissa had fun touring the museum
and checking out some of the hands-on activities.
All in all, being a Media Girl at an official event was a lot of fun for Julissa, and she said she's looking forward to being a Media Girl at upcoming events next year—and even doing radio and television interviews.

"I think this would be a nice experience since I'm new to Media Girls," Julissa said. "I would also love to attend the Norfolk Tides game and Zoo Fest."