Thursday, February 12, 2015

Guest Blogger: Girl Scout Cadette Michaella

In January, a group of more than 30 Girl Scouts took part in a travel adventure to New York City. The trip was planned by girls and volunteers from Community Two. Girl Scout Cadette Michaella from Troop 475 in Virginia Beach wrote about her favorite parts of the trip:

I have always wanted to go to New York City, and for my thirteenth birthday, I asked for a trip. My mom saw this opportunity through Girl Scouts and thought it was the perfect fit to go everywhere I wanted to visit, and have a fun mother/daughter experience. I raised all of the money for the trip selling jewelry, hair clips, photo cards and other crafts I create. I was super excited to go, and finally the day arrived. The bus trip was long, but worth it when I first saw the New York City skyline. It was amazing! We saw and did so much it is really hard to believe it was all in one weekend.

Michaella at the top of the Empire State Building
My favorite moment was going up in the Empire State Building at night. I was really anxious because I don't like heights, but when the elevator doors opened I could see all the city lights. It was breathtaking! It was so cold but I didn't want to leave because it was so beautiful. I also really loved the Statue of Liberty and took some cool pictures. Miss Eileen, our leader, challenged us to take a photo that looked like we were holding Lady Liberty between our thumb and finger. I got a great shot! I also loved the Broadway show Aladdin! The genie was so incredible and even got a standing ovation during the show. I also had a fun time taking pictures with my mom in Times Square. We even bought some New Year’s 2015 glasses to take silly photos.

This trip was the best and I hope to travel more with Girl Scouts. Our leader, tour guide, and bus drivers did a great job and took care of everything we needed. Thank you to Girl Scouts for offering this adventure!