Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Gold Award Spotlight- Butterfly Garden at First Presbyterian Church and Beach Day School

Girl Scout Ambassador Emma earned her Gold Award by completing her Gold Award project, Virginia Beach Butterfly Garden at First Presbyterian Church and Beach Day School.

Emma wanted to create an outdoor space for the congregation and school children of Virginia First Presbyterian Church and Beach Day School to enjoy. She created an education butterfly garden that teaches the life cycle of butterflies and relates it to Jesus’ resurrection in a way the students could understand. She also created a curriculum to go along with the garden to help instructors share her message. She learned how to make construction plans, overcame obstacles and learned to lead a team toward an end goal by completing her project, even through Covid-19.

Emma said, “I learned I can speak loud and clear when I really need to. I have always struggled with this. I also learned I am not a quitter. When something needs to be done- I do it!”

The garden went into full bloom throughout the spring and into the summer. It will continue to be maintained by students and will be enjoyed by guests for years to come. Way to go, Emma!