Thursday, February 4, 2021

2021 Camp is Calling Video Contest!

 Hey, Girl Scouts! Have you heard? Camp is calling and we want to hear from you in our upcoming “Camp is Calling” video contest! When you enter our video contest you’ll have the chance to have your video shown on our social media and website as well as be in line for some great prizes! More information here- https://bit.ly/2KdwnMM


My name
 is Shanise, a Girl Scout alum, and I started as a Brownie in our Council. Today, I am a staff member for GSCCC and that was many years ago but I know those valuable Girl Scout memories will never fade! Here, I am going to recount some of my favorite camp adventures, and maybe you’ll get some inspiration for your submission to our video contest! 


I have so many fond memories of Camp Skimino in Williamsburg, my favorite Girl Scout camp in our Council. I had many firsts there as a young Girl Scout including my first fire safety lessons, my first s’mores and my first “walking taco”. As I got older and came back year after year, I collected so many valuable outdoor experiences with fearlessness. One year, I even received my very first first aid lesson for the scrapes that on an occasion followed my newly found fearlessness. 


I have always loved being near the water and my favorite camp activity quickly became canoeing. I liked the rush of the water against the oars, as if my hands themselves were propelling my friends and I across the gleaming lake. To this day, I still love to canoe and kayak and I do so with strength and confidence. 


One year as a Girl Scout Cadette, I helped host an encampment at Camp Skimino centered around recycling to earn my Silver Award with my friends in my Hampton, Virginia troop. We spent many weekends over the years selling cookies to earn money for camping trips and service projects, looking forward all year to our return to Camp Skimino. Camp was truly calling us back time and time again! Summer camp is easily the most fond memory I have of Girl Scouts because of all the awesome experiences I had and the lifelong friends I made along the way!


That was my Camp is Calling story and now I want to hear your story! We know every Girl Scout has a camp experience worth sharing, and here is your chance to tell your story and get rewarded for doing so. We can’t wait to hear from you. Contest details here- https://bit.ly/2KdwnMM



As a photo "shy" Cadette, I was hiding in the background of this photo. Here, my friends and I from Troop 1268 posed with groceries donated to us by the community to support our monthly meeting where we prepared and distributed food to people experiencing homelessness in Hampton, VA with the help of Fox Hill Central United Methodist Church.