Wednesday, October 20, 2021

The Cookie Classic Run Mother-Daughter Duo

Girl Scouts is often a family affair and support from caregivers along the way is a big part of the experience. Girls know that doing activities together always multiplies the fun and working together makes goals more achievable. For the mother-daughter duo, Girl Scout Senior Alex and volunteer Mara Bates, the Cookie Classic Run is an annual event where they both love to get hands on in support of Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast! Read a bit about Alex's personal experience with the Cookie Classic as a Girl Scout, then read about Mara Bates, Alex's mom, one of the lead volunteers of the Cookie Classic event!  

by: Girl Scout Senior Alex

"The Cookie Classic Run has been an annual Girl Scout event for as long as I can remember. I think I was seven years old when I went to my first Cookie Classic Run with my troop. And although I complained all throughout the mile and I ended up having to be carried, it was a lot of fun. I had never run a full mile on hilly terrain before and that first year it was a true cross-country mile.

Each year I go, I am amazed by the effort that so many people put into our community. There have been more walkers and runners as well as sponsors at the run each year. Seeing my community flourish and grow from this one race is really inspiring.  It has become a tradition that I look forward to each January. I get to see others who are as crazy as I am out there running in the cold but I also get to eat cookies on the course (if I want).

The Cookie Classic Run is really is strong in spirit, too. This run happens every year, no matter the weather and it even survived Covid! Experiencing this beautiful race is one thing, but being in it is another. I have met many amazing people over the years by racing beside them, and it truly is liberating to see people that I know outside of Girl Scouts attend as well. I really love the Cookie Classic Run; I can't wait to participate this year (again) and I hope to see it continue for many years to come."

Alex's experience highlights what the Cookie Classic is about, supporting Girl Scouts through community togetherness (with a LOT of fun along the way.) Since 2015, Mara Bates has been one of the lead volunteers supporting the Cookie Classic Run- even participating in the run herself! This event requires months of preparation from Mara but the result is an inclusive event where runners of all abilities can join us in supporting the Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast.

Join us this year at the annual Cookie Classic Run on January 22, 2022 the ONLY race in Hampton Roads where you get Girl Scout cookies ON the course during the race!  Register today. 


Mara and Alex at the 2020 Cookie Classic Run Costume Contest Celebrating the
Launch of Lemon-Ups